Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Story: part one

I started writing this when the baby was a week old. I decided that I am going to tell the birth story in parts since I want to include so many details and it is going to end up being way too ridiculously long... Enjoy!


A week has gone by since I had you baby boy. You are sleeping in my arms as I write this and to me, there has never been a more beautiful baby.
I wanted to write everything I can remember from your birth before the details fade. 
On Tuesday December 22nd I was expecting to head to the hospital around 9:00 that night to be induced. Your dad went off to work and I had the whole day planned for a lot of sleeping (being on bed rest makes anything else difficult to do). My mom was working at the hospital that day and around 10:00 that morning she called me and told me they had an opening and instead of going to the hospital at 9:00 pm we needed to be there at 2:00 pm that afternoon. 
I called Steven and began cleaning the house in a frenzy (yes, I did just use that word) even though I was still on bed rest. 
My head was spinning and I was so, so excited! I took a few last pictures of me pregnant, packed my hospital bag, charged the cameras and waited for your dad to get home.
Around 1:30 he showed up and we grabbed our stuff and left. I made him stop by Culver's for my last "pregnancy meal outside of the hospital" meal. I got a bacon cheese burger and a strawberry cheesecake concrete...
We got to the hospital and checked in and then the nurse came and showed us to our room. It was an unreal moment. Just knowing that we were not going to leave that room until we had you, seeing your little bed, and everything else was overwhelming. And I cried.
When we got settled in our new room and I stripped down to nothing but a hospital gown the nurse came in and checked me and hooked me up to an IV. I hate IVs.
My blood pressure was 150 over 106 (the worst that it had been) and I was one centimeter dilated and my cervix was still really thick, but you were really low. That was really the only good news.
At 4:00 that evening they started me on something that would soften my cervix for 12 hours.
We tried to keep that night really low key. My nurse (who I love), doctor, and mom told me that if my blood pressure got any higher they would have to start me on magnesium which apparently is horrible and makes you feel like you have the flu. I didn't want to take any chances and stayed on my sides, to ensure my blood pressure would not get any higher, so long that they actually got sore.
We had a few visitors and all of them were quite and I was not concerned about my BP rising... until my aunt Tiffany came to my room. She burst in singing and dancing and what have you. It was very entertaining and a nice breath of fresh air. Anyways...
I watched some re runs of What Not to Wear until my night nurse (who I knew previously to my stay at the hospital,  who was also awesome) came in and gave me some ambian. Amazing. I slept so well that night, even though I got woken up every hour to get my BP taken.
The next morning at 5:00pm I got started on pitocin to get the labor started. I was checked again by my nurse and found out that nothing had changed from the night before. I was still dilated to a 1 and my cervix was still thick... Very sad news to me.
Apparently nurse and my doctor contemplated re starting me on the medication that would soften my cervix again for another 12 hours... Even though they started me on the pitocin my nurse told me that I most likely would not have the baby until the next day...
Now in my mind since everything in my pregnancy had gone wrong for the past two weeks I was convinced that I would end up getting a c section...


To be continued... 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is suuuuuuch a long time to be in that room without a baby coming out. My sides got sore with my first labor, which was 12 hours total. I feel really badly for you.

    ReplyDelete